Thursday, October 13, 2011

Anak Melayu mesti pandai bertutur dan menulis dalam bahasa Inggeris


After 3 days of interviewing candidates for various positions in a multinational company, I am quiet disappointed as many Malay candidates were not able to impress my international colleagues.

The reason -- poor command of the English Language.

Yes, you can have all the "technical skills" but at the end of the day, if you can't convince a business partner from India who only speaks English and Hindi, then you are out.

And when you are in senior position, and you can't sell an idea in English, then you are out.

Do I need to go on...?

And we are still debating -- should we teach in English or BM... Can't you see budak Melayu merana in climbing the corporate ladder because their English = BAD.

We want to be global players.

Thanks Mak and Ayah -- you taught me well. Today I am equally good in BM and English. If only more budak Melayu can join me to move up the ladder.